Awakening Presence: Poetry as Spiritual Practice
Are you feeling a disconnect from your spiritual side? A longing for a deeper connection to God*, particularly in time of great uncertainty?
Art has a way of bringing us closer to our natural, authentic self, and it is there we can find the peace and presence of God. This four-week series takes you through contemporary poems that help you to see, question, and honor your relationship to your spiritual self.
This journey is organized in weeks, by themes, each with writing prompts and supporting activities. By the end of the series, you have a small collection of your own writing, along with a set of poems to keep you inspired and connected with your spiritual essence. During this time of uncertainty and rapid change, you will be guided in intentionally carving out time to listen to the "still, small voice" in order to feel grounded and ever grateful.
* I use the word God but please use the term that represents to you your religious or spiritual guide.
You will receive:
- Examples of contemporary poets' work and a look at specific poetic forms, like the pastoral, sonnet and ode;
- Audio of poems;
- Prompts and suggestions all designed to gently lead you to new, enriching discoveries;
- Suggested essays to read;
- Freedom to work at your own pace;
- An invitation to connect with other workshop participants; and
- The opportunity to continue through coaching.
Themes you will explore include
Who is God, How does God show up (or not), What is God doing (inside and outside of you), Where is God taking you
You will be guided to:
You will be guided to:
- Identify personal motivation for more spiritual intimacy
- Explore images/influences that shape your spiritual perceptions.
- Examine emotions that keep us spiritual stuck and what you need to forgive (in yourself and others) to move forward.
- Identify how problems and obstacles can be seen as sacred moments; Identify how you are a part of God’s divine plan.
- Examine how paying attention to nature and natural surroundings can enhance the presence of God.
At the end of the series you will have:
- New, original pieces
- In-depth knowledge and work with a variety of poetic forms
- A clearer understanding and appreciation for your spiritual path & how poetry plays a part